Connect with us

News

Breaking News: Another virus hits China, 1,840 infected chicken dead – ghanapulisher.com

Published

on

‘Highly pathogenic’ bird flu has broken out in two Chinese provinces near Hubei since the beginning of the month as Beijing struggles to contain the novel coronavirus currently ravaging the country.

Nearly 2,000 fowl were killed by the H5N6 strain of avian influenza on a poultry farm in Sichuan Province, Chinese agricultural authority announced yesterday.

Just eight days earlier, 4,500 chickens were reported to have died of H5N1 virus in the province of Hunan.

Four outbreaks of H5N6 bird flu were also reported in western China’s Xinjiang in January alone.

Nearly 2,000 fowls were killed by the H5N6 strain of avian influenza on a poultry farm in Sichuan Province, Chinese agricultural authority announced yesterday (file photo)

Nearly 2,000 fowls were killed by the H5N6 strain of avian influenza on a poultry farm in Sichuan Province, Chinese agricultural authority announced yesterday (file photo)

The latest outbreak in Sichuan took place at a county called Xichong in Nanchong City, which is about 12 hours from Wuhan by car.

China’s Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs reported that 1,840 out of the 2,497 domesticated birds on the farm were killed by the infectious viral illness.

Local authorities culled 2,261 birds as a result and safely disposed their carcasses – as well as those of the birds killed by the influenza – according to the notice.

The Ministry did not specify on which day the outbreak happened.

Just eight days earlier, 4,500 chickens were reported to have died of the H5N1 strain of bird flue in the province of Hunan, which borders coronavirus epicentre Hubei (file photo)

Just eight days earlier, 4,500 chickens were reported to have died of the H5N1 strain of bird flue in the province of Hunan, which borders coronavirus epicentre Hubei (file photo)

The Ministry on February 1 alerted an outbreak of H5N1 bird flu in Hunan Province, which borders Hubei.

The bug hit a chicken farm in the city of Shaoyang, which is about a six-hour drive from Wuhan.

The Ministry said 4,500 out of the 7,850 chickens on the farm were killed and local officials had to cull 17,828 birds in a bid to contain the disease.

The bird flu has been classified as highly pathogenic because of the number of birds which have died from the disease.

There are lots of different strains of the virus.

Both H5N1 and H5N6 are among the four strains that have caused concerns of a bird-to-human transmission, according to NHS.

Although the disease doesn’t easily infect humans and is hard to spread from human to human, several people have caught it around the world and died.

The reports of the bird flu outbreaks come as China is straining all its resources in a bid to curb the fast-spreading novel coronavirus, which emerged in Wuhan late December and has killed at least 910 so far.

China's Vice Premier demanded Communist officials of all levels take active lead in this 'wartime condition', or face being 'nailed onto the pillar of historical shame forever'. Pictured, medical workers help patients infected with the coronavirus check in at a makeshift hospital

China’s Vice Premier demanded Communist officials of all levels take active lead in this ‘wartime condition’, or face being ‘nailed onto the pillar of historical shame forever’. Pictured, medical workers help patients infected with the coronavirus check in at a makeshift hospital

Nearly 100 people died of coronavirus yesterday on the deadliest day of the outbreak so far.

The death toll in mainland China rose by 97, taking the number of global fatalities to 910.

Another 3,062 cases were reported in China yesterday – an increase of 15 per cent compared to Saturday which put an end to a series of daily declines.

China said today that 27 foreigners had been infected with the virus in the country, including two of the country’s 908 deaths.

Two people have died outside mainland China, one in Hong Kong and the other in the Philippines, taking the global toll to 910.

More than 360 cases of the virus have been confirmed outside China, bringing the total to at least 40,531.

The fatality toll has passed the 774 people believed to have died in the 2002-03 SARS outbreak, another viral outbreak that originated in China.

The total of more than 40,000 confirmed cases of the new virus vastly exceeds the 8,098 sickened by SARS.

The rise in China’s death toll occurs as millions of people return to work today after an extended Lunar New Year holiday.

Hong Kong has reported seven more cases, raising its total to 36 after the virus spread at a family gathering attended by two relatives from mainland China.

Meanwhile in Japan, another 60 people on the Diamond Princess cruise ship were today confirmed to have the virus, taking the total to around 130.

Passengers on the ship have been confined to their cabins in a two-week lockdown with confirmed virus patients taken to hospital on the mainland.

World Health Organisation chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said there are tentative signs the virus was stabilising, but said there may be more infections abroad in people who have never travelled to China.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Why R. Kelly Was Jailed for 30 years

Published

on

R. Kelly was sentenced to 30 years in prison Wednesday after being convicted of racketeering and sex trafficking.

U.S. District Judge Ann Donnelly imposed the sentence on Kelly and ordered him to pay a $100,000 fine after a nearly three-hour hearing. Kelly did not address the court.

The victims held hands while the sentence was read and Kelly had no apparent reaction.

“Although sex was certainly a weapon that you used, this is not a case about sex. It’s a case about violence, cruelty and control,” Judge Donnelly told him during the sentencing.

R. Kelly appeared in court Wednesday for his sentencing hearing.

R. Kelly appeared in court Wednesday for his sentencing hearing. (Amr Alfiky)

Kelly’s lawyer Jennifer Bonjean said they look forward to the appeal.

“30 years is like life for him,” she said. She also emphasized he is “not a predator.”

U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York Breon Peace called the sentence a “significant outcome” for Kelly’s victims.

Kelly “preyed upon children and young women..for decades,” according to Peace. He would “force victims, including minors” to be in “porno films” which the singer “produced and directed.”

“The sentence shows that the witnesses reclaim control over their lives,” he added. “This is a victory for them. It doesn’t matter how powerful..justice only hears the truth”

Seven of Kelly’s victims gave impact statements during the sentencing hearing.

placeholder

“You made me do things that broke my spirit. I literally wished I would die because of how low you made me feel,” one woman told the Grammy-winning, multiplatinum-selling singer. “Do you remember that?”

Another woman, sobbing and sniffling as she spoke, said Kelly’s conviction restored her faith in the legal system.

“I once lost hope,” she said, addressing the court and prosecutors, “but you restored my faith.”

The woman said Kelly victimized her after she went to a concert when she was 17.

“I was afraid, naive and didn’t know to handle the situation,” she said, so she didn’t speak up at the time.

“Silence,” she said, “is a very lonely place.”

The “I Believe I Can Fly” singer was convicted on one count of racketeering. The racketeering including 14 underlying acts of sexual exploitation of a child, kidnapping, bribery, and sex trafficking charges.

placeholder

R. Kelly was also convicted on eight violations of the Mann Act. The legislation makes it illegal to transport people across state lines for “immoral purposes.”

The trial lasted six weeks.

Prosecutors argued that Kelly had used his "fame, money and popularity" to recruit women and teenagers for "his own sexual gratification."

Prosecutors argued that Kelly had used his “fame, money and popularity” to recruit women and teenagers for “his own sexual gratification.” (AP, File)

Prosecutors had argued that Kelly should receive at least 25 years in prison for his conviction.

Kelly used his “fame, money and popularity” to systematically “prey upon children and young women for his own sexual gratification,” prosecutors wrote in the filing.

“He continued his crimes and avoided punishment for them for almost 30 years and must now be held to account,” prosecutors wrote.

R. Kelly was convicted on nine charges in his racketeering, sex trafficking trial.

R. Kelly was convicted on nine charges in his racketeering, sex trafficking trial. (E. Jason Wambsgans/Chicago Tribune via AP, Pool)

Kelly’s lawyers had argued he should get no more than 10 years in prison because he had a traumatic childhood “involving severe, prolonged childhood sexual abuse, poverty, and violence.”

As an adult with “literacy deficiencies,” the star was “repeatedly defrauded and financially abused, often by the people he paid to protect him,” his lawyers said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING NEWS: R. Kelly given 30 years in jail for….

Published

on

R. Kelly given 30 years in jail for sex abuse.

 

US singer R. Kelly has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for using his status to run a scheme to sexually abuse children and women.

In September, a jury in New York convicted the R&B artist, 55, of racketeering and sex trafficking crimes.

Lawyers for the singer, whose real name is Robert Sylvester Kelly, say he will appeal.

Survivors on Wednesday said he had degraded and humiliated them.

Ahead of his sentencing, a handful of women took the stand to confront Kelly over his decades-long-abuses.

A woman identified only as Angela called the singer a Pied Piper who “grew in wickedness” with every new victim, while others who were not named testified he had broken their spirits.

“I literally wished I would die because of how you made me feel,” said one.

Dressed in prison khakis and dark glasses, Kelly declined to make a statement of his own.

US District Judge Ann Donnelly said the celebrity had used sex as a weapon, forcing his victims to do unspeakable things and saddling them with incurable diseases.

“You taught them that love is enslavement and violence,” she said.

The court heard how Kelly – known for hit songs like I Believe I Can Fly and Ignition – used his celebrity status and influence to lure women and children into sexual abuse over two decades.

Jurors at his six-week trial in Brooklyn heard how he trafficked women between different US states, assisted by managers, security guards and other members of his entourage.

The court also heard how Kelly had illegally obtained paperwork to marry singer Aaliyah when she was 15 in 1994, seven years before the singer died in a plane crash.

The certificate, leaked at the time, listed Aaliyah’s age as 18. The marriage was annulled months later.

Federal prosecutors had recommended that Kelly be sentenced to more than 25 years in prison, given the seriousness of his crimes and “the need to protect the public from further crimes”.

But his lawyers called for a sentence of 10 years – the mandatory minimum for his conviction – or less.

They portrayed Kelly as growing up poor in a household rife with domestic violence and suffering sexual abuse from a young age.

Kelly has been in custody since he was indicted by federal prosecutors in New York and Chicago in July 2019.

His three years behind bars have been eventful, including a beating from a fellow inmate in 2020 and a bout with Covid-19 earlier this year.

The singer faces further legal action in August, when he goes on trial again, this time in Chicago on child sex images and obstruction charges.

He is also due to face sex abuse charges in courts in Illinois and Minnesota.

Continue Reading

News

Ernest Kpebu elected SRC President of African University College of Communications (AUCC)

Published

on

Ghanaian journalist cum blogger Ernest Kpebu was on Tuesday (24 May) elected the president of the Students’ Representative Council (SRC) of African University College of Communications (AUCC).

Ernest Kpebu polled an interval of 83 votes against his main rival Nana Yaw Smith Dadzie to become the winner for the 2022/2023 academic year.

The journalist cum blogger said the victory comes as a huge relief, promising to make students’ welfare his priority.

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'Thank You!! ERNEST KPEBU & PROSPER ADJEI AUCC SRC President & Vice ELECT Thank you very much for voting for us we grateful, AUCC SRC will work again for our collective interest as Students.'

“Students of AUCC have voted for a change they can feel,” Ernest Kpebu

told the media after the declaration of results. “The past weeks have not been easy but God has redeemed His image”

I’ll deliver

Ernest Kpebu said he will deliver on his promises to the students.

“This is just a stepping stone,  I’m going to change AUCC SRC; make students have a change they can feel, make an impact and leave it at a level where whoever is going to come will be happy to continue from,” he said.

The journalist cum blogger has promised to develop the institution if he was voted as the SRC president.

Speaking on Afronova TV earlier, Ernest Kpebu stated that he will use his personality to solicit funds for the institution since the SRC has financial constraints.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'AUCC-SRC NSCOVER FOURDELE 動 Thank yom! Thank you very much for voting for me I'm grateful, AUCC SRC will work again for our collective interest as Students. SRC PRESIDENT ELECT ERNEST KPEBU #TogetherWeCan #TheChangeYouCanFeel'

”As a journalist and a blogger, what I am used to in terms of soliciting funds to support their projects. I know what I can do if I take charge and sacrifice myself or bring myself to serve and be part of how we can raise more,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement Enter a d code here
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement Ente r ad code here
Advertisement

Popular

Copyright © 2021 Ghana Publisher.