Connect with us

News

Coronavirus an end time disease ?, 17 Countries affected and fast spreading – ghanapublisher.com

Published

on

New cases of infection with a novel strain of coronavirus, which emerged at a seafood market in the Chinese city of Wuhan, are being reported daily around the world.

In China, at least 106 people have died and more than 4,500 cases have been recorded across the country.

Cases have also been confirmed in several countries in the Asia-Pacific region as well as Europe and North America.

Here are the countries that have so far confirmed cases of the new coronavirus:

Australia

Australia has confirmed five cases of the virus. The most recent was a 21-year-old woman who was on the last flight out of Wuhan to Sydney before China imposed a travel ban.

The other infections were detected in one man who arrived in Melbourne from China and three men in Sydney who had recently arrived from China and tested positive for the disease. They were being treated in isolation units in local hospitals.

United States

The US has confirmed five cases of the virus – two in California, and one each in Arizona, Chicago and Washington state.

Vietnam

Vietnam on January 23 confirmed two cases of the virus in a man from Wuhan who travelled to Ho Chi Minh City earlier this month and passed the virus to his son.

Both were being treated in hospital and are stable, Vietnamese health officials said.

Cambodia

Cambodia confirmed the first case of coronavirus in the country on January 27.

Health Minister Mam Bunheng said the patient was a 60-year-old Chinese national in the coastal city of Sihanoukville.

Canada

A man who arrived in Toronto with his wife on January 22 after visiting Wuhan has been confirmed to have the coronavirus. The couple were wearing masks on their flight from Guangzhou and took their own transport home from the airport. His wife has also tested positive for the virus.

Nineteen suspected cases being investigated by health officials are from Toronto.

China

As of January 28, at least 4,500 people have been confirmed infected across China, most of them in and around Wuhan.

At least 106 people have died, nearly all in Hubei province, but officials have confirmed four deaths elsewhere, including one in Beijing and one in Shanghai.

The Chinese government has imposed drastic curbs on travel to try and rein in the virus; it has also closed tourist sites at what is usually one of the busiest times of the year.

The city of Macau, a gambling hub hugely popular with mainland tourists, has confirmed six cases.

In Hong Kong, eight people are known to have been infected, with hundreds of suspected cases reported.

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam has declared the outbreak an “emergency” – the city’s highest warning level – and cancelled all official celebrations of the Lunar New Year.

France

There are three known cases of the coronavirus in France, the first European country to be affected.

A 48-year-old man is in hospital in Bordeaux. He had recently travelled to Wuhan and returned to France via the Netherlands.

Two others, a Chinese couple in their early 30s have been hospitalised in Paris.

All three had recently travelled to China and had now been placed in isolation.

France’s health minister has said it is likely that there will be more cases and that authorities are surveying all the people that the patients have come into contact with after arriving in France.

Germany

Germany confirmed its first case of the coronavirus on January 28 in southern Bavaria.

“A man in the Starnberg region has been infected with the new coronavirus,” a spokesperson for the ministry said, adding that the patient was under surveillance in an isolation ward.

The ministry gave no further details on how the patient came to be infected but said he was in a “medically good state”.

The ministry said it considers the risk to the general population to be “low”.

Japan

On January 26, Japan’s public broadcaster NHK, citing the health ministry, said a fourth case had been confirmed in a resident of Wuhan in his 40s who was visiting Japan for a holiday.

Japan’s health authorities confirmed a third case on January 25. The country’s health ministry said a woman in her 30s who lives in Wuhan had contracted the virus.

The country’s first case was reported by the health ministry last week: a man who had visited Wuhan and was hospitalised on January 10, four days after his return to Japan.

Local media said the second patient was a man in his 40s who was originally from Wuhan and on a trip to Japan.

Malaysia

Malaysia confirmed four cases on January 25. All were Chinese nationals on holiday from Wuhan who had arrived in the country from Singapore two days earlier.

The most recently confirmed was a 40-year-old man who was being treated in hospital.

A 65-year-old woman and two boys, aged two and 11, were in a stable condition and being kept in an isolation ward at a public hospital, Malaysia’s health minister said.

They are the wife and grandchildren of a 66-year-old man who was found to be infected in Singapore.

Nepal

Nepal said a 32-year-old man arriving from Wuhan had tested positive for the deadly disease.

The patient, who was initially quarantined, recovered and was discharged. The government said surveillance has been increased at the airport “and suspicious patients entering Nepal are being monitored”.

Singapore

Singapore has five cases, all people who arrived in the city-state from Wuhan for the Lunar New Year holidays.

South Korea

The Korea Centers for Disease Control (KCDC) confirmed South Korea’s fourth case on January 27, saying that a 55-year-old South Korean man who returned from Wuhan on January 20 had tested positive for the virus.

South Korea had reported its first case, a 35-year-old woman who flew in from Wuhan, on January 20. The second case, confirmed on January 24, was a South Korean man in his 50s who returned from working in Wuhan.

On January 26, the KCDC said a 54-year-old South Korean resident of Wuhan who had arrived home on January 20 was the third to test positive for the virus.

Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka confirmed its first case of coronavirus on January 27.

The patient was identified as a 43-year-old Chinese woman from Hubei who had arrived in Sri Lanka as a tourist. S he was admitted to the Infectious Diseases Hospital.

Taiwan

Taiwan has uncovered five cases so far, the latest a Taiwanese woman who had been working in Wuhan before returning home on January 20. The island’s authorities have since advised against travel to Wuhan and Hubei province and on January 24 said any arrivals from Wuhan would be rejected by immigration.

All arrivals from the rest of China – including Hong Kong and Macau – must fill out health declaration forms on arrival.

The territory has also banned the export of face masks for a month to ensure domestic supplies.

Thailand

Thailand has detected 14 cases so far.

Sukhum Kanjanapimai, the ministry’s permanent secretary, said on Tuesday all six latest cases are Chinese tourists from Hubei province who entered Thailand several days ago. They are from Wuhan.

The new cases are two women and four men age 6 to 60. Five of the six new cases are family members.
All six were admitted to a hospital in Nonthaburi province.

 

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

I’ve recently been defrauded to the tune of $7 million – Kennedy Agyapong laments

Published

on

Assin Central Member of Parliament, Kennedy Agyapong, has disclosed that he has landed in a botched business that has seen him swindled to the tune of US$7 million by a young man.

According to him, in the line of business, no matter how shrewd a person is; losses and other challenges can pop up but that it was how a person handles it that determines how good a businessperson they are.

GhanaWeb monitored comments Agyapong made on Net2 TV’s ‘The Attitude’ show on August 20 where he revealed that the ‘fraudsters’ who are messing with him will soon know who they are up against.

“Even for me, things are not so smooth for me as you think. I told you last week that I have bought machines worth 7 million dollars for some young boys, they have swindled me, they are still on it, they haven’t changed.

“Their time will come, my message is that when I was advancing them the money to buy the canon machines, if that was all I had, I wouldn’t have given them that money. So I will eat, what pains me is that a 39-year-old boy will swindle me, a 61-year-old man.”

According to him, now that he is plotting to hit back at the fraudsters, “people are begging, people are still begging. People I respect are begging, you see why Ghana is not progressing?” he quizzed.

He vowed to go after the boys and to collapse their business, a fight back that he said he had started by cutting their sources of supply and business.

Agyapong, however, remains undaunted by the incident, stressing that he will continue to run his businesses and to make investments because that was a sign of a businessman who understands the ups and downs that come with the trade.

“I will not let them demoralize me…. I’m still investing. I am business-wise already but I have grown wiser. If you see a Ghanaian dying, let him die…. Nana Boadu (he gave the names of one of the boys) will not know what is coming upon him.

“But I will not let those boys collapse me, they are very evil, I know of two but I am told they are three… I will retrieve every pesewa of mine from those small boys, they will never swindle me this badly.

“I will take action and I don’t care, because I will not let him take me for granted ever. I usually pass my hand over my head. My head is boiling because I am so pained that the boys have been able to swindle me that bad,” he lamented.

Continue Reading

News

Chaos: Agbogbloshie scrap dealers fires shots at police over de-congestion exercise – ghanapublisher.com

Published

on

The scrap dealers at Agbogbloshie in Accra are resisting the decongestion exercise by the Greater Accra Regional Coordinating Council.

The scrap dealers and onion traders at Agbogbloshie are being relocated to Adjen Kotoku to help free the congestion in the central business district of Accra as part of the agenda “Make Accra work again” initiated by the Greater Accra Regional Minister, Mr Henry Quartey.

Graphic Online’s reporter Joshua Bediako Koomson who is with the team undertaking the exercise reports that the de-congestion exercise started Thursday morning was moving smoothly until the team arrived at the scrap dealers section.

The dealers set used vehicle tyres ablaze in protest against their removal from the spot.

According to our reporter Joshua Bediako, “They are firing shots and throwing stones at the security personnel.”

“They also started burning tyres”, he added.

He said the exercise aimed at removing onion traders and scrap dealers to Adjen Kotoku was peaceful until they reached the scrapyard.

The scrap dealers argued that they were not served any notice to vacate the place.

“So the military had to intervene by firing warning shots to disperse them,” he added.

Source: graphiconline

Continue Reading

News

Calm down and support Prez. Akkufo Addo – Nana B to Ejura Youth – ghanapublisher.com

Published

on

NPP YOUTH WING APPEALS TO EJURA YOUTH TO CALM DOWN, SUPPORTS PREZ AKUFO-ADDO’s DIRECTIVE FOR PUBLIC INQUIRY

The National Youth wing of the New Patriotic Party has learned with profound concern reports of the alleged murder of Ibrahim Mohammed aka Kaaka and the unfortunate death of two protesters in Ejura in the Ashanti Region.

At the outset, we condemn in no uncertain terms the alleged mob attack that led to the untimely death of Kaaka and also the use of disproportionate force by the joint security force against the rampaging youth in Ejura.

We sincerely sympathize with the families of the deceased and pray that the good Lord comfort and strengthen them in the difficult times they find themselves.

As agonizing and regrettable as the death of these three individuals are, the Youth wing, in all humility, appeals to the youth in Ejura to calm down and tread a path that engenders peace, love and unity to honor the memories of the dead.

As youth we hold the key to the future of our great nation and we cannot jeopardize this great task by resorting to instant retaliation and violence which threatens the peaceful coexistence in our country.

We welcome and support the directive from H.E. Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to the Minister of Interior, Hon. Ambrose Dery, MP, to immediately conduct Public Inquiry into the circumstances that led to the unfortunate occurrences on Tuesday, 29th June, 2021.

Again, we add on to the numerous calls on the Police to expedite investigations into the unfortunate death of Kaaka and serve justice to him and the bereaved family by bringing the perpetrators to book.

That said, It is deeply worrying that the opposition NDC seeks to use these very unfortunate and tragic occurrences as an opportunity to undermine the peace and progress we have collectively attained in almost 30 years of our democracy, admired and spoken about in the Sub-Region.

As citizens of Ghana and as Youth, it is our duty to denounce and condemn such statements which rather weakens our strength as a nation in fighting atrocious acts.

We must take up the call for social justice in an appropriate manner which ensures that all are protected and we contribute in the collective effort to support the peace process.

Once again, we solemnly commiserate with the families, friends and loved ones of the deceased and wish the injured a speedy recovery.

Thank you
…Signed…

Henry Nana Boakye
(National Youth Organizer, NPP)

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement Enter a d code here
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement Ente r ad code here
Advertisement

Popular

Copyright © 2021 Ghana Publisher.