Connect with us

Foreign News

US troops in Iraq knew of Iranian attack 2.5 hours ahead of time – report

Avatar

Published

on

US troops stationed at a base targeted last week in a devastating, but not deadly, Iranian missile attack had advance warning of the assault, buying them time to either leave or take shelter in bunkers before rockets rained down on their location, CNN reported.

In what marked the first time media were given access to the base since the attack, the cable station on Saturday reviewed impact sites and spoke with troops who were on the ground in the Al-Asad air base during the attack.

Iran fired over a dozen missiles as two bases in Iraq — Al-Asad and another base in the northern city of Irbil — housing US troops last Wednesday, in revenge for a US drone strike that killed senior Iranian commander Gen. Qassem Soleimani a few days earlier.

US troops stationed at a base targeted last week in a devastating, but not deadly, Iranian missile attack had advance warning of the assault, buying them time to either leave or take shelter in bunkers before rockets rained down on their location, CNN reported.

In what marked the first time media were given access to the base since the attack, the cable station on Saturday reviewed impact sites and spoke with troops who were on the ground in the Al-Asad air base during the attack.

Iran fired over a dozen missiles as two bases in Iraq — Al-Asad and another base in the northern city of Irbil — housing US troops last Wednesday, in revenge for a US drone strike that killed senior Iranian commander Gen. Qassem Soleimani a few days earlier.

An Arab diplomatic source told CNN that the Iraqis had warned the US in advance of which bases would be hit after receiving the information from the Iranians. Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdul Mahdi said the Iranians gave an official verbal message warning Iraq shortly before the attack started.

Many troops at Al-Asad were evacuated from the base some two and a half hours before the missile attack started, and those who remained hunkered down in shelters, CNN reported.

Beginning at just after 1:30 a.m. Wednesday there were four volleys of rockets that hit Al-Asad, some coming down directly on living quarters that had been evacuated due to the warnings.

CNN said little was left of the living quarters hit due to the blast damage and a fire that raged for hours afterwards. Footage from the site showed shattered buildings and large craters in the ground.

Although most troops were moved out of harm’s way, the information the US received indicated that there might be a ground assault on the base too. As a result, some soldiers remained deployed outside in the open, maintaining the perimeter as the explosions rocked the base.

US troops stationed at a base targeted last week in a devastating, but not deadly, Iranian missile attack had advance warning of the assault, buying them time to either leave or take shelter in bunkers before rockets rained down on their location, CNN reported.

In what marked the first time media were given access to the base since the attack, the cable station on Saturday reviewed impact sites and spoke with troops who were on the ground in the Al-Asad air base during the attack.

Iran fired over a dozen missiles as two bases in Iraq — Al-Asad and another base in the northern city of Irbil — housing US troops last Wednesday, in revenge for a US drone strike that killed senior Iranian commander Gen. Qassem Soleimani a few days earlier.

An Arab diplomatic source told CNN that the Iraqis had warned the US in advance of which bases would be hit after receiving the information from the Iranians. Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdul Mahdi said the Iranians gave an official verbal message warning Iraq shortly before the attack started.

Many troops at Al-Asad were evacuated from the base some two and a half hours before the missile attack started, and those who remained hunkered down in shelters, CNN reported.

This satellite image provided on January 8, 2020, by Middlebury Institute of International Studies and Planet Labs Inc. shows the damage caused from an Iranian missile strike at the Ain al-Asad air base in Iraq. (Planet Labs Inc./Middlebury Institute of International Studies via AP)

Beginning at just after 1:30 a.m. Wednesday there were four volleys of rockets that hit Al-Asad, some coming down directly on living quarters that had been evacuated due to the warnings.

CNN said little was left of the living quarters hit due to the blast damage and a fire that raged for hours afterwards. Footage from the site showed shattered buildings and large craters in the ground.

Although most troops were moved out of harm’s way, the information the US received indicated that there might be a ground assault on the base too. As a result, some soldiers remained deployed outside in the open, maintaining the perimeter as the explosions rocked the base.

US sources told CNN that Iran was “not that concerned” with preventing US casualties, and that if precautions had not been taken, the rockets “could potentially have caused significant US casualties.”

Lt-Col Staci Coleman, who remained in a shelter during the attack, described the experience as “extremely scary.”

“We knew something was happening but we didn’t know exactly what,” Coleman related. “As the time drew closer, we kind of felt we had an indication of what it might be but we still weren’t certain. We had advance warning there may be some rockets followed by a base incursion. So we had to keep our security forces out to make sure we were safe from that.”

Coleman said the pressure from the blasts as the missiles exploded on the ground was so strong they could see the bunker doors pushed inward and then sucked back out again with each impact.

The rockets continued to fall intermittently for the next two hours. At dawn officers emerged from the bunkers to review the damage.

According to the US there were no injuries in the attack. Iran has claimed, without offering evidence, that dozens of US troops were killed.

Iran for days had promised to respond forcefully to Soleimani’s killing, but its limited strike on two bases appeared to signal that it was also uninterested in a wider clash with the US.

Although some Iranian officials have threatened that more attacks will follow, Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted after the barrage that the country had “concluded proportionate measures in self-defense.”

Source: www.timesofisrael.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign News

Video: Ghanaian Lady shot dead in Miami

Avatar

Published

on

A Ghanaian woman believed to be in her 30s has reportedly been shot and killed in the US.

The lady in question has been identified as Rachel Maame Adwoa Amuah.

She is reported to have been shot dead around 1:20am on the seventh-floor of a high rise building on the 698 NE First Avenue on Thursday, May 6, 2021.

Miami Local 10 News reporter that the police after receiving a distress call in the area found the victim severely wounded around her neck from an apparent gunshot.

Reports say she was taken to the Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center in critical condition. She reportedly died shortly after.

A Miami Police officer named Kenia Fallat is quoted as saying “Right now, we have one person that has been detained and one possible witness that we are questioning at this time.”

 

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Breaking: Billionaires Bill Gates and wife Melinda to get divorced after 27 years – ghanapublisher.com

Avatar

Published

on

In a message on the Microsoft founder’s Twitter account, the couple said they made the decision after “a great deal of thought and a lot of work on our relationship”.

Gates, the fourth richest man in the world with a net worth of $130bn, married Melinda in January 1994.

“Over the last 27 years, we have raised three incredible children and built a foundation that works all over the world to enable all people to lead healthy, productive lives,” they said.

“We continue to share a belief in that mission and will continue our work together at the foundation, but we no longer believe we can grow together as a couple in this next phase of our lives.

“We ask for space and privacy for our family as we begin to navigate this new life.

The couple, who married on a golf course on the Hawaiian island of Lanai, have three children together – Jennifer, Rory and Phoebe.

They live in an earth-sheltered mansion in the side of a hill overlooking Lake Washington in Medina, Washington.

 

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Prince Philip’s Funeral In Photos, See the only 30 attendants due to Coronavirus

Avatar

Published

on

The British royal family gathered Saturday for the funeral service of Prince Philip inside St. George’s Chapel on the grounds of Windsor Castle, the first time they have appeared together in public in more than a year.

Pall bearers carrying the coffin of the Duke of Edinburgh, followed by the Prince of Wales,

The funeral of Prince Philip, who died last week at age 99, was closed to the public and limited to just 30 people due to coronavirus-related restrictions.

Queen Elizabeth II, who was married to the Duke of Edinburgh for more than 73 years, sat alone during the service, donning a black face mask.

Prince Harry returned home for the services, making his first trip back to Windsor Castle since he and his wife, Meghan Markle, stepped away from the royal family in early 2020.

Queen Elizabeth II, who is will celebrate her 95th birthday next week, sat by herself in the front pew on Saturday due to Covid-19 concerns.

 

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, holds back tears during a ceremonial procession to St. George's Chapel.

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, holds back tears during a ceremonial procession to St. George’s Chapel.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and his wife, Meghan Markle, posted a tribute to Philip on their website last week.

Prior to his passing, Prince Philip helped design the Land Rover that carried his coffin

Philip’s four children and some of his grandchildren (including William and Harry) walked in a procession behind his coffin as it was driven to St George’s Chapel.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, was reportedly wearing a four-strand pearl necklace from the queen’s personal collection

More than 700 members of the Armed Forces were called to honor the Duke of Edinburgh at his funeral.

Tangent:

Prince Harry’s wife, Meghan Markle, did not attend the services. Markle, who is pregnant with the couple’s second child, was reportedly advised by her doctor to remain in California.

Crucial Quote:

“We have been inspired by his unwavering loyalty to our queen, by his service to the nation and the Commonwealth, by his courage, fortitude and faith,” Rev. David Conner, Dean of Windsor, said during Saturday’s funeral service. “Our lives have been enriched through the challenges that he has set us, the encouragement that he has given us, his kindness, humor and humanity.”

Big Number:

100. Philip was mere weeks away from celebrating his 100th birthday when he died peacefully at home last Friday.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement Enter a d code here
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement Ente r ad code here
Advertisement

Popular

Copyright © 2021 Ghana Publisher.